Publicatiedatum: 2 februari 2015
Reporter: Albert Hendriks - Friesland Holland Nieuwsdienst -

The fortress Sneek

Sneek originated in the eleventh century. It was formed from two terps lying close to each other. The city is situated on the border of a clay and peat area.

SNEEK: Stadhuis • Town Hall
SNEEK: Town Hall

The very first buildings appeared on the terp where the large Martin Church now stands. The Martin Church was built on the western terp and dates from the period round 1500.

The fortress Sneek
At the beginning of the sixteenth century, Sneek was provided with fortifications, which made it the best defended city of Friesland.
In the second half of the seventeenth century and in the eighteenth century, Sneek was a flourishing and fast-growing city. Unfortunately, much was lost at that time. In the eighteenth century, for example, the city walls and bulwarks were demolished.
Sneek is known for its watergates. Once there were five. The remaining watergate, which dates from 1613, is the symbol of Sneek. This Watergate can therefore be found as a pictorial mark on many Sneek products. The watergate logo of the water sport clothing brand Gaastra is very well known.

Town Hall
Sneek’s Town Hall is a special attraction. It dates originally from 1550, but in subsequent years the Town Hall was expanded. It was rebuilt many times as well afterwards. In 1760, it acquired its luxuriant rococo forms. Ultimately, the Town Hall was given the attractive external appearance which can still be viewed