Frisian Ship Transport Museum
The Fries Scheepvaart Museum is a maritime museum in the Kleinzand area of Sneek, Netherlands. Located in the province of Friesland, it contains a library, film viewing room, and focuses on local seafaring life. It is housed in canal buildings dated to 1844 and offers collections of old sailing ships models, naval paintings, and silver pieces.
The museum was opened on 13 April 1881 by the Provincial Friesian Society of History, Antiquity and Linguistics. The Historical Exhibition of 1877 was such a success that the Society was able to construct a building on the Rue Royale. Extension and renovation occurred in 1992-1997, to a design by architect Gunnar Daan. The multiple expansions eventually connected several canal houses, with a central entrance hall. The museum celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2006. Preparations are underway for a new building of the Fries Museum in Zaailand, designed by Abe Bonnema; it was scheduled to open in September 2013.